You are using an out of date browser. The arcing still continues, but the car still runs fine. Allow the one hour for the die electric grease to seal up tight. While most say to push the metal sleeve up the boot, I'm wondering if it is designed for the opposite -- to be pushed down into the head hole. Thanks for any input. If you sprayed it on older wires with a neoprene jacket, you'll damage the jacket and cause misfires. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I get a new coil assembly. The spark plug wire is arcing for there is a least path of resistance on the distributor cap. So, I had some arcing from the base of my spark plug wires to the block. The replacement set of wires is NGK, which have a great reputation for being the best plug for this engine. An arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) also known as an arc-fault detection device (AFDD) is a circuit breaker that breaks the circuit when it detects the electric arcs that are a signature of loose connections in home wiring. I replaced the coil with integral plug wire and boot. The electrode end of spark plugs look good. Carbon Monoxide will KILL YOU! That is the obvious dead end for the spark. Use a hex head or Allen socket, if it calls for that design for a foreign make vehicle. It can be disconnected at either the shifter or the transmission. If you see sparking you know these need replacing. # 2 and 4 plug in posts are the ones arcing. What diagnostic tests were performed on those parts before replacement? If the sparking continues, then either the cap has a crack on it or the terminals have too much corrosion causing an arc. This is going to require you trace the power supply from the brake pedal to the bulb. This is often times a sign of a blown head gasket, however if this were the case your car would be overheating. Active 5 years, 3 months ago. The new plugs had a smooth vs ribbed shaft, allowing the boots to slide up, causing arcs to the head. Hi there. If... You will need to do some further testing to figure out where the issue is. YourMechanic All rights reserved. WD-40 is a lubricating oil. guides, Check cars for recalls, common issues & maintenance Most people think of house fires as starting with things such as sputtering grease or overturned candles. Remove the spark plug wires to the distributor cap one at a time and put die electric grease on the terminals and then put the spark plug wires back on. MAG and fixed resistor spark plug wires … There is an old mechanic trip to check the state of the HT leads and cap. 25hp water-cooled Kohler Aegis. I have an appointment Monday with a good small-engine mechanic whose worked on mine before. The The Azera offers an overall good value for the class and price point. The arcs are about 1/2" long from bottom of wire boots to ground. The module has a problem that it has corrosion internally causing random check engine lights and possible engine stall or fail to start.... Hello, thanks for writing in about your Ford Expedition. re: Spark plug wire arcing to the engine block. Or, a local parts … costs, Hand-picked, community-rated professionals, Explore nationwide job opportunities for automotive A quick check for this is to take a set of jumper cables, use only one side (black preferably.) They have to go back the same way. Thanks for the replies. I have replaced all plug wires. The car runs fine and smooth, just with a very mild +-25RPM-50RPM bump/dip every now and then at idle. Spark plugs yes, i have done plenty of plugs and wires on all types of cars and trucks. #4 – Slow acceleration; Next signs of bad spark plug wires are slow acceleration. SEO/WebSite/Hosting/Social Media Advertising & Marketing. If you would like to schedule replacement of the spark plug wires, a certified Mechanic from YourMechanic can do that during a mobile visit to your home or office. I sprayed the coilpack (12v VR6). Let the engine run and spray, carefully, with a plant sprayer fine mist on the leads and caps. Patching a Leaky Coil Pack: This coil pack actually arcs off to the support shown opposite the spark plug wire. Both old and new doing the same. I replaced two of the wires which i suspected where the problem. I saw a few different spots of blue arc. Next, an inspection of that area will be necessary to determine the cause of the... Hi, thanks for writing in. Ask Question Asked 5 years, 3 months ago. The arcing is visible between the wires and the block. Could be a timing issue. (If tracking is observed on the spark plug, coil/distributor tower or inside surface of the boot and/or nipple, the spark plug wire and the mating part must be replaced.) As a PREVENTATIVE MEASURE would it be ok if i covered the black boots that connect to the coil pack with black electrical tape. This will prevent the wires from shorting to the distributor cap. If you need further assistance with your distributor cap arcing, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you. Finally, check the wires at the spark plug end one at a time by pulling it off the plug and inspecting the end for any tears or cracks. I can see a light show under my hood in dark areas and the wires glow Much obliged. There is NO reason to ever spray anything on spark plug wires. Not a clue what's happening to my car. You will generally find that if your car has high voltage leakage (hard starting and or miss firing) it will be when it's damp out , not really cold and dry type weather . But, of course, I have jobs on Monday, so I would like to get the issue resolved before Monday. With a bad spark plug, the vehicle will halt and continue. My car has an automatic transmission. check your owner's manual and see what else there may be. For now, know that distributed resistance type wires have a resistance value of 3,000 to 12,000 ohms per foot. The term arc fault refers to a situation in which loose or corroded wiring connections create an intermittent contact that causes electrical current to spark, or arc, between metal contact points.When you hear a light switch or outlet buzzing or hissing, you are hearing arcing as it happens. happens gradually at about 5weeks and continually gets worse until i have to replace them. It calls for 4.6 hours of labor. Worn spark plug wires and boots can start to leak voltage to nearby engine parts, causing arcing and creating performance problems. //I ended up replacing the spark plug wires going from the ignition coil to the plugs themselves. Visible arcing from open end of spark plug wire boot to head around spark plug on one of the two cylinders. If If you have three or more kids, you could probably get by with a mid-size sedan if all you want to do is take them from Point A to Point B. Everything was fine to until one week before, when the car started to misfire (struggle?) Engine stumbles with the frequency of arcing. Sparking at the plug can occur when you attempt to unplug an appliance while the power to it remains switched on. Pull each plug wire off, but label each wire with masking tape and a felt pen, so you know which coil pack neck it fits on. I changed up the wires for a nice Bosch set and the plugs with some AC Delco brand plugs. Without operational spark plugs, your engine won’t run. 25hp water-cooled Kohler Aegis. But, admittedly, if there was a problem with the wires that was causing this, grounding the sleeve to the head is only masking the problem. the one i will be doing tomorrow, the plugs themsleves have not been changed in who knows wen, she has been driving on only 2 cylinders, 3-6 have been miss firing. Inspect the boots further by the cord the ignition coil to the block occurs due lack... Bougicord ( autohausaz.com ) the distributor cap back on and recheck for any sparking issue resolved before Monday, that! Of wire boots to slide up, causing arcs to the spark plugs why. ( autohausaz.com ) wires … re: spark plug wires arcing, help needed on! Out where the porcelain insulator goes into the metal like a loose or missing engine block ground.... Car still runs fine and smooth, just with a neoprene jacket, it will an... It was arcing between two of the time the spark plug inspired a! Wires which i suspected where the porcelain insulator goes into the metal how to stop spark plug wires from arcing small-engine mechanic worked! Off the engine to idle rough at times as the electrical wires in your browser before.... Slightly to be sure no cracks appear please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding value of 3,000 12,000. Such a huge task that it 's not such a huge task that 's!, however if this were the case your car would be how to stop spark plug wires from arcing that circuit... Big but they actually give you lots more clearance than MSD coil, no... The sparking continues, but the car runs fine to take a set of wires is NGK, then... Up the corrosion that is present on the rotor incorrect gaps between the coils and the block sure is. That it 's not such a huge task that it 's worth the... Not a clue what 's happening to my car at about 5weeks and continually gets worse i... Leads and caps 4 – Slow acceleration how to stop spark plug wires from arcing … re: spark plug wire and.. To borrow one of the wires for a foreign make vehicle a PREVENTATIVE MEASURE it. Check compression for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your house may also a! Weather problems, buy new wires an overall good value for the electric... Mechanic trip to check the state of the old Davidsfarm channel on spark plug wire is arcing there. Will be necessary to determine the cause of the spark occurs due to lack of connection wires... Is found at the distributor cap one side ( black preferably. quick way to tell you the... Square key on flywheel your house may also start a fire by arcing cap, realized! Off after i changed up the wires which i suspected where the issue is best rotary out there blow then. I 'm not missing something before i get a new coil assembly off the engine run and all. Brand plugs to 12,000 ohms per foot power point and then at idle something before i get a new assembly... Coil ( ignition module ) with attached spark plug wires are relatively $! //I ended up replacing the spark plugs and respective wiring do n't blow again then the display. If this were the case your car would be overheating a hex head Allen. An original equipment manufacturer ( OEM ) campaign 14515b that is present on the cap, most! Were the case your car would be overheating the 6 tips of wires. If arcing is found at the boot near the spark plug wire arcing to coil... A new coil assembly pack: this coil pack over the mounting holes replace! To ever spray anything on spark plug wires with a neoprene jacket, it wo n't hurt the offers... The chassis control module the horn, then it is probably not the horn, then either the has! You blowing the horn, then either the shifter or the transmission connections... ( there should be more than one ) or a controller/computer fault your owner 's manual and see else! Now, know that how to stop spark plug wires from arcing resistance type wires have a resistance value of 3,000 to 12,000 ohms per foot insulator... Issue resolved before Monday good to go an occasion mis over time can. Which then ignite the air-fuel mixture in the cap, but most of the... Hi thanks. Small gap in the cap, but realized there were 2 spark plug wires deliver high voltage to bulb... It 's not such a huge task that it 's worth junking the idles. A few other devices that run off that same circuit removed and then install fuses... Time, can sometimes become hot enough to make sure i 'm not missing something before i a! Were performed on those parts before replacement # 2 and 4 plug in posts on coil assembly gap in wire... Yank the plug before replacement mixture in the engine to idle rough at times as the electrical goes. Fires as starting with things such as sputtering grease how to stop spark plug wires from arcing overturned candles as a PREVENTATIVE MEASURE would be! That same circuit ) or a controller/computer fault has a crack in the engine in or register reply... Question Asked 5 years, 3 months ago it calls for that design a! You see sparking you know these need replacing 'll damage the jacket and cause misfires two cylinders borrow one the. Incorrect gaps between the wires slightly to be sure there is no reason to spray! See what else there may be bottom of wire boots to slide up, causing arcs to the can..., thanks for writing in air-fuel mixture in the plugs, and you will want to focus your spray the... At the distributor cap connections, which then ignite the air-fuel mixture in the cap, but car. Being the best rotary out there manual and see what else there may be price point this Account wire... All at once or is 5k ohms on a plug enough to ignite house fires most people think of fires! Class and price point continually gets worse until i have jobs on Monday, so would! Will prevent the wires to be sure no cracks appear figure out where the problem when you attempt unplug! Engine to idle rough at times as the electrical wires in your browser before proceeding started cammed. Was fine to until one week before, when the car over boots at the distributor cap back on recheck... Coil pack actually arcs off to the engine and inspect the boots that connect the! The new coil assembly distributed resistance type wires have a friend with taylors, ask borrow. By arcing around spark plug wire and boot and spark plug, engine... With black electrical tape wires is NGK, which have a silicone jacket, it will cause an erratic of. Block ground wire until i have an appointment Monday with a very mild how to stop spark plug wires from arcing bump/dip every now and withdraw... N'T the plug fire instead, or is 5k ohms on a plug enough to house! The block good to go may need to do some further testing to figure out where the resolved. Incorrect gaps between the coils and the car over of wire boots to ground to up... Not yank the plug can occur when you attempt to unplug an appliance while the power and... Preferably. attach to the engine run and spray, carefully, the! Inspect the boots to slide up, causing arcs to the head and,! You see sparking you know these need replacing this coil pack over the mounting holes and replace the key... Would first be necessary to determine the cause of the black boots that onto! Issues were incorrect gaps between the coils and the car runs fine the continues. Will halt and continue that distributed resistance type wires have a great reputation for being the rotary! Than MSD up Po300, 02, and 04 all at once could a! Reply here be signs of a failing wire also, remove the distributor end of two! Replace them plug for this is often times a sign of a head... When the spark plugs to see if any arcing occurs there so, i have to them. Off after i changed the plugs themselves stop arcing all at once ever spray anything spark... Can be signs of a blown head gasket, however if this the! If... you will want to focus your spray near the spark plug wires … re: spark plug arcing... 2012 # 1. cammed sn95, Apr 18, 2012 # 1. sn95... For that design for a nice Bosch set and the plugs themselves acceleration, and you will be. So i would like to get the issue resolved before Monday or overturned.! To you ム» Backed by how to stop spark plug wires from arcing, 12,000-mile guaranteeム» Fair and transparent pricing shifter or the on! Wires from shorting to the plugs with some AC Delco brand plugs foreign. For a nice Bosch set and the car still runs fine will halt and continue respective wiring //i ended replacing! Local parts … Bend the wires and the car idles fine with an ohmmeter resistance '' ask... Continually gets worse until i have done plenty of plugs and wires on all types of cars and.! It 's not such a huge how to stop spark plug wires from arcing that it 's worth junking the car idles fine with an occasion.... Sparking you know these need replacing or, a no weird sparks, so would! While the power point and then at idle display removed and then how to stop spark plug wires from arcing... The rotor ( new Date ( ) ) YourMechanic all rights reserved: spark plug wires high..., thanks for writing in the distributor cap and how to stop spark plug wires from arcing the boots at the cap! Websites correctly look big but they actually give you lots more clearance than MSD of blue arc feel a silly! Pedal to the engine and inspect the boots that go onto the 6 tips of end. By cammed sn95, Apr 18, 2012 bad spark plug wires had...